Thursday, November 20, 2008

Pilaf with Veggies

Today I made some pilaf, and started making it plain, but then had a change of plans! I start by using Kashi Pilaf, which is really convenient and easy to cook, but hard to find unless you have a really great health food store or decide to order online (sometimes Amazon.com sells it in bulk).

When my toddler was smaller, I made this plain, and then I started cooking it with my Organic Vegetable Better Than Bouillon for a little more flavor.

This time I figured I would use up some tomatoes that I had sitting around, and I diced them up and tossed them in, and then decided to add some peas and corn. Not only did it make a rather plain pilaf into something with a little more nutrition, but it is colorful and very tasty! I did mix in my vegetable bouillon to add flavor as well. You can do lots of combinations of adding veggies to the pilaf.

My toddler really likes her vegetable pilaf, and it makes a good dish to go along with some veggies.

The box for the Kashi pilaf recommends something like 2 cups of water and 20 minutes cooking time, but I cook for longer, which inevitably requires more water. I overcook the pilaf so that it is a little mushier. Some of the grains are a little firm, and just to be on the safe side, I cook it so it is on the softer side. This dish freezes and reheats well - I freeze in glass jars or bowls, and pop in the microwave when I need dinner for my toddler in a hurry!

No comments: